Thursday, July 22, 2021

Undertow (The Carolina Files, Book 2) : Willa Blackmore

Urban Fantasy meets Horror in this tale of kidnap, murder and possession.


This is book two of The Carolina Files Series; Urban Fantasy meets Paranormal meets Horror. The book is set in the town of Henley-on-Hale, North Carolina. A unique town where supernatural beings mix freely with local mundane humans.


Tula Whitlow is one of three witch sisters who run a local Inn for Supernatural beings. The three had let their talents lapse and were living the high life until recently, when trouble landed on their doorstep and they were forced to start learning their witchcraft to defend the town. 


Trouble continues to plague the town. A series of gruesome murders of local teenagers comes to light. Demonic sigils found tattooed on the dead teens and daubed at the sites where their bodies are left leads local law enforcement to call in Tula to help investigate. All signs point to a ritual sacrifice which took place 15 years before. Were the teens involved in a demonic cult or are they paying for the sins of their parents?


I really enjoyed this book. The descriptive world building and character development is great; I like Willa Blackmore’s style of writing. It’s well paced and draws you into the story. I like that we see a bit more of what Tula’s sisters can do. I hope we get to know them better as the series progresses. I like that Tula hasn’t suddenly become an all-powerful, all-knowing witch and is having to actually learn her craft and hone her skills. I love Ruby and I like the way she is pulled in to help and uses everything as a teaching moment. I love that Tula hasn’t leapt into a relationship with the vampire, Victor, even though I kind of really want her to. 


This story is more complex than the first book and it’s all the better for that. I was completely immersed in this tale from start to finish. I really enjoyed it. I’m excited to see what the next book will hold. This is definitely one of the more interesting new series I’ve read lately. Willa Blackmore is an author to watch.


Available from Amazon







No comments:

Post a Comment