Monday, July 19, 2021

Invasion (The Carolina Files, Book 1) : Willa Blackmore

A paranormal mystery story with a touch of comic horror  

This is the first book in The Carolina Files; a planned Urban Fantasy meets PI series. I originally read and reviewed this book in April 2021.

The story features Tula Whitlow, a magic user who has let her talents lapse. She is one of three witch sisters, living in the small town of Henley-on-Hale, North Carolina. The town is a peaceful one and is made up of a good mix of magical and non magical inhabitants.

Mystery and peril arrive, brought by visitors who are caught up in events just outside of the town’s borders. This is a tale of magic, villainy and a summoned malevolent ancient god. What could possibly go wrong? 

I loved this book. The main and secondary characters are well defined, grow throughout the book and I found myself invested in their journeys. I could definitely relate to the main character, who finds herself thrust into situations she has no idea how to manage, yet somehow makes it through, often by the skin of her teeth. She grows from a young lady who is winging her way through life and not really taking anything seriously, to a woman whose need for magical skill has been thrust back upon her, giving her a focus and sense of purpose by the end of this story arc. 

The writing is easy to read, funny in places and there were no grammatical issues to pull me out of the flow of the story. I found myself staying up into the early hours because I wanted to know what came next and I couldn’t put the book down.

I’m delighted that there will be more books to come. I loved the humour and the comic horror element and I am really looking forward to what has the potential to be an excellent paranormal PI series. 

Available from Amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment