Monday, May 17, 2021

The Year I Left : Christine Brae

A beautifully written tale of bereavement and love, grief and joy, loss and self discovery


This is a beautifully written book about loss, grief, self discovery and love. It’s a standalone book which covers some difficult and adult topics and does it so well.


I was captivated by this story, which really takes you on a complex journey through the eyes of a woman whose sudden loss of her mother triggers a descent into clinical depression. We see the impact that her declining mental state and subsequent withdrawal has on her family and her work. How she finds forbidden love and despite her initial reservations, does something hugely out of character to try and find herself again.


The world building felt so real and was so vividly descriptive that I could almost see myself there. 


It was an incredibly emotional read. I felt her pain and her joy. I felt her loss and her love. The writing style really pulls you in and makes this a real and relatable story. The characters are complex and believable. It’s not often that I get so emotionally invested in fictional characters but I loved them all just a little bit and am sad now that I have finished the book and they are all still within its pages and no longer part of my own journey. 


I wholeheartedly recommend this book. This is the first time I’ve read anything by this author but it definitely won’t be the last.


Available from Amazon



 


No comments:

Post a Comment